Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My Unique Qualifications as a reporter

People have asked me numerous times...what makes me qualified to report on these Winter Olympics? Let me tell you, I have a unique and longstanding tie with the Games hometown of Turin (or Torino) Italy.

When I was in high school, I bought a ten speed bike that I road all the way through college and still ride today. In fact, I recently pumped up the tires and put significant miles on it during a recent athletics challenge. What is the brand name of this bike? It is a "Gios Torino".

Interesting you say, but it get's more freaky. In high school I ached to have my own car. My dad finally took me to look at a used car which had the definite potential to be my first car ever. Freedom, popularity all rode with convincing him this was the perfect fit for me. His interest of course, was much more along the "Does it run good and is it cheap" line of thinking. When we arrived at the sellers house I peered out into the driveway. There sat this orange behemoth of a vehicle. Not regular orange, not burnt orange, not even bright Tennessee orange. This was orange of seven shades brighter than traffic cone orange. And what kind of vehicle was to become my first ever car? What make and brand was to forever be my "first vehicle"?

A screaming orange Ford Gran Torino.

Freaky, huh? Don't you think these early character imprinters with Torino Italy make me uniquely qualified????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of orange, you have to like the fact that Sports Center is calling Pearl's jacket "nuclear orange" !