Thursday, April 07, 2005

Ever Watch Jay Leno?

People send me info on dumb criminal activity all the time. You know, people who rob banks and write the stickup note on the back of their own check. How can people be so dumb?

Jay Leno does a thing once a week called Jaywalking. He asks people on the street simple questions and then they try to answer. Of course, he does a lot of editing, but it's amazing the number of people who have no clue about the average piece of information. They know nothing about day to day stuff, the news, public figures, or history.

I remember (me being a Transportation major) someone asking me during college how trains changed flat tires. When I gave them my best puzzled look, they explained that they had never actually seen a train stop to change a flat but never could figure out how they would jack up one piece since trains were connected. It was obvious to me they were serious and had thought a lot about this.

It pained me to hear them ask this. I don't think I was ever able to formulate an answer to the question.

Today you have an assignment. Ask a variety of folks who the current vice-president is. I would bet that 50% have trouble with the answer. Please report back your findings from this scientific survey and help me restore confidence in America. I'd be interested in hearing their answers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, genius, how do they do it?