Thursday, June 16, 2005

Answering the mail...

I get lots of e-mail (at least a couple a hunnert a day), and frequently I get the question "how do you come up with material every day?". That's a great question.

I read a lot in my job and sometimes things just strike me funny. Maybe I look at things with a different slant than most folks, I dunno. But I'll read something, and then do a double-take. "Did I just read what I thought I read?". Then the funny thought hits me and I catalog it for future articles. Other times, really crazy crap happens that is just too good to pass up. Those are the genesis for the "can you believe it" articles. Also I keep some staples going, such as the Thursday Sheeps, the Friday poetry wrapup, etc.. That makes it easier to figure out what kind of material to write for the day. A little focus helps a lot.

And of course, on days when there is really no material at all, I answer e-mail questions.

No comments: