Friday, June 17, 2005

My Thoughts on Educashun...

I seen where a bill to promote Pre-K educayshun programs was introduced and discussed in the Tennuhsee legislature. Pre-K? What's next, womb tutoring? Whatever happened to childhood? Around these parts folks send their kids to tutors so they can get in the best kindergarten programs. For what? They got higher quality finger paint?

When my oldest was approaching firts grade my pardner was worried that he might be behind. I told her he couldn't be behind. It was physically impossible. It was first grade. By the laws of physics he would be equal to all of the rest. By the end of the first week he could be no farther than one week behind.

It reminded me of my first day in Introductory Spanish at the Unisee of Tenniversity. The teacher walked around the room saying "Hola, como se lama" or something like that to each student. They then each answered with something like "Mi yama es Earl, gracias". When she got to me I said "If'n I understood what you said I wouldn't be in Introductory Spanish". It didn't sit too well with Senora Teacher and obviously my Spanish skills didn't stick.

The point being, let kids be kids. I don't want my kindergartner having to worry about being able to read on a 5th grade level. There will be plenty of time for that when he reaches high school.

No comments: